Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Humpty Dumpty had a hard life

Forget all that fallin' off a wall business. Humpty Dumpty's life has gotten markedly harder since Logan found out about him. Logan made a Humpty Dumpty puppet... and then ripped it up... and he also reinacted Humpty's fall over and over and over and over...So with Easter approaching we did so egg activities. My ideas came from Hubbard's Cupboards 2s curriculum. Some of them I modified to fit my almost 2 YO.
1. We read the nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty.
2. We made a shape Humpty Dumpty (oval- body, rectangles- arms/legs, triangles- hands). Logan got to use "real" glue because I couldn't find the glue sticks. Then Logan ripped up Humpty and we had to tape him back together, Oh well! They say the sign of a good preschool craft is that it allows each child to express individuality. I guess he was just puttin' on his artistic flair.

3. We did 2 matching games-- one with matching sounds, one with matching patterned eggs. I filled eggs with a variety of materials (pennies, rice, beans) and then we shook them and he matched the sounds. Suprisingly this was the one he could do. I thought it would be too abstract. He must be an auditory learner? I also cut eggs out of scrapbook paper and he was supposed to match those. I thought he'd be good at that because he can do matching games but the patterns were too much for him. I think i should have cut out solid color eggs and let him sort by color.


4. He also had fun just playing with the eggs, playing with easter grass, and hunting for eggs, oh, and throwing eggs!


5. We made Humpty's wall with a shoebox and reinacted the rhyme with a plastic egg. Sounds hokey but he loved it and I've seen him playing Humpty Dumpty a lot since then. It cracks him up when Humpty falls!
6. I wrote out the rhyme on large paper-- while Logan watched (I wrote fast)-- I think it's important to model writing for kids... even young kids. I had read in "The Baby Read-a-loud Handbook" that children in Logan's age group enjoy hving familiar rhymes posted...um, they weren't kidding. He treasured that junky piece of paper so much he had to put it in his pack n play and play with it for 10 minutes! The love affair might have had something to do with the stickers we put on it, too.

Don't worry... I'm not just teaching my kid about easter eggs. We're going to do some activities that focus on Jesus's death and resurrection tooo and I'll try to post about those... just got to figure out what we're going to do.

For now, I'm off to read Humpty Dumpty for the 9,000th time.

No comments: