Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What it's all about


My nephew, Nick, did an awesome job of reminding all of us what Easter is all about.(He's the one on the right. His little brother Alex is on the left. Don't they look precious in their Easter gear?) He kept saying, "It's not about eggs or candy. It's about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins." Apparently he also shared this with his kindergarten class all week, which I think it awesome.

I've been thinking a lot about Easter and what it really means this year. With having kids, you start to think about how you can express what Easter really means to them.

A few weeks before Easter I read this verse from Mark. Jesus was having a conversation with His disciples. He asked them (in verse 27), "Who do people say that I am?"
Vs. 28: "They replied, "some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.'

'But what about YOU?' He asked. 'Who do YOU say that I am?'

Peter answered, 'You are the Christ.'"

Mark 8:28-29

This verse struck me as I questioned, who do I say that Jesus is. Does my life reflect what I believe?

In short, here's what I believe. I believe that I am a sinner- the Bible says that all of us are.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23

I believe that since man first sinned in the garden, we have been waiting for a saviour to come and free us from our sins. I believe that God sent Jesus to take on death and be that saviour for me.. .and for you.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

I believe that eternal life means I get to spend eternity in heaven with God. BUT I also believe that my eternal life starts now. The grace that God has offered to me puts to death the sin in my life and I get to live in the freedom of Christ. This doesn't mean that I don't mess up... just ask my husband. What it means is that I am forgiven. I don't have to live under the bondage of guilt.

I believe that this grace is freely given to all people who will accept it. I accepted Christ as my LORD and my saviour when I was only 9 years old. I believe you can accept Christ at any age.

"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved." Romans 10:9-10

So, this Easter season, who do I say that Jesus is?

I say that he's the Christ, the son of the living God. He was and is and is to come. He is someone I know and want to know more.

"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead." Philippians 3:10

This Easter season, who do YOU say that he is?

Do you know Him? Do you want to? Comment or email with any questions.

jackbrad (at) rocketmail (dot) com

No comments: